July 5, 2009

New Stuff!

Posted in Computer Graphics tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , at 10:58 pm by sagito

I’m bringing you some news from the Conspiracy Engine! Since yesterday, I have been able to implement three new important things in the engine. The first is a TAL (Top Abstraction Layer) that manages the engine almost totally. This was implemented through several Adapters and a Facade pattern. It is working nicely now, and most of the code that was in the main.cpp could be hidden under this layer now, simplifying the whole thing. I will try to create a configuration (scene-graph like) file that will be loaded by this class and automagically presented. The whole engine is already prepared for that, it is just a matter of putting things together.

I have also implemented geometrical transformations. Due to the overall organization and architecture of the engine, this was much quicker than I expected and took only about fifteen minutes to complete.

Finally, I have managed to get the Picking-related stuff working. Picking is always a big headache because it envolves a lot of maths (matrix inversion between three vectorial spaces, conversions, etc), and also because it is a HUGE design problem! Why? Well, as some of you should know, Picking is the possibility of selecting an object in a 3D world through the click of the mouse. However, the mouse “lives” in 2D space while the scene is usually 3D. So, the mouse coordinates are caught up in the Input layer and must be propagated to the Object Rendering layer in order to check if some object was intersected by the ray generated by the mouse click. As you can imagine, crossing several layers many times and returning to the interface is a quite tough design job…

However, my approach tried to obtain not only quality in the design (without violating any abstraction encapsulation) and also performance. As I already need to go through every object while drawing, I figured that I could use the drawing cycles to perform picking. As every function returned void at the time, they now return the set of picked objects! This way, I shared as less code as possible (in a Aspect-Oriented Programming way) and still managed to obtain the most of the engine performance!

Now I shall work in the textures. There is not much work left, so that when I finish some last things, the game should be born! ๐Ÿ˜€ Promise that will keep you posted… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: